Why not? They’re really too complicated for all but the most seasoned, experienced, or adventurous Mac users. What most of us want is to point and click and wait for something we want do to happen. For that you need an app with a list of automations.
Enter The Vortex
Instead of using Automator to automate certain tasks, Vortex takes a decidedly different direction, which is actually much easier.
Think of Vortex as a Mac utility which comes with pre-defined automated actions. It does some of what Automator does, but without figuring out how to use Automator first.
Vortex has a length laundry list of options, each useful, but much easier to setup and use than Automator. If you can click, you can get more done in less time.
What does Vortex do?
This may be the longest list of features and actions I’ve ever included in a Mac360 review.
Are you ready? Here’s the Vortex actions list:
- Convert video/audio to MP3
- Convert video/audio to AAC
- Convert video/audio to AIFF
- Convert video/audio to WAV
- Convert video to AVI
- Convert video to MP4
- Convert video to FLV
- Convert video to MOV
- Compress files/folders into RAR format
- Compress files/folders into ZIP format
- Compress files/folders into 7Z format
- Extract archive files in ZIP, RAR or 7Z formats
- Read a text out loud
- Convert a text file to TXT format
- Convert a text file to DOC format
- Convert a text file to DOCX format
- Convert a text file to ODT format
- Convert a text file to RTF format
- Convert a text file to HTML format
- Reduce the size of an image for web publishing
- Make a .dmg read only
- Make a .dmg writable
- Bless a .dmg file (make it open automatically when mounted)
- Loop a YouTube video in InfiniteLooper
- Search a text in Google
- Search a text in Wikipedia
- Search a text in Bing
- Search a text in Google Maps
- Translate a text in Google Translate
- Download a video from YouTube
- Download a video from Vimeo
- Download a video from DailyMotion
- Download songs from Grooveshark
- Download South Park episodes from southparkstudios.com
- Transform images or text files to PDF
- Merge several PDF files into a single file
- Transform an image to JPG format
- Transform an image to TIFF format
- Transform an image to PNG format
- Transform an image to GIF format
- Transform an image to JP2 format
- Transform an image to BMP format
- Transform an image to PSD format
- Transform an image to TGA format
- Transform a single page PDF to any of the image formats above
- Split a multi-page pdf into several single-page pdfs
- Download video using Videobox
- Download audio using Musicbox
- Snap page with Web Snapper
- Make an application launch at login (or make it no longer launch at login)
- Completely uninstall an application (trash the application and clean up supporting files from your system). This action does NOT require Tidy to be installed.
- Move files/folders to the trash.
- Download all audio files in a web page.
Whew! Now that’s a list of stuff.
Nearly every item on the Vortex list of actions can be done using other apps on your Mac. But not as quickly. Even better, frequently used actions can be assigned a keyboard shortcut, which makes those actions occur even faster than scrolling through a long list.
Or, just set a global hotkey and bring the Vortex list to the Mac’s screen whenever you want. Vortex is very powerful, absolutely useful to those who demand efficiency, but it’s a different way to accomplish certain tasks on the Mac.