Wait. What? Is that a valid premise? Technology makes us stupid? That might explain the recent presidential election in the U.S., but really? It must be, otherwise, why would authorities warn Apple that its iPhone charger amounts to a lethal weapon which inflicts itself upon unwary customers?
Attacked By iPhone
Here’s the story. Technology kills. But based upon my examination of public evidence of this example, the technology that kills does so only to stupid people (Samsung Galaxy S7 Note owners notwithstanding; I mean, how smart are you if you bought a Samsung?). 32-year old Richard Bull died because his iPhone killed him. How is that possible? Amie Gordon:
(Bull) was found by his wife Tanya, who thought her husband had been attacked because his burns were so severe.
He was found in the bath. His iPhone was being charged– while he was using it in the bath– and was connected to an extension cord. Anybody see a problem here? Repeat: the iPhone was plugged into its charger which was plugged into an extension cord.
What killed Richard Bull?
Was it the iPhone? Was it the extension cord? Was it stupidity? Let’s go with what’s behind door #3, Monte. Well, authorities disagreed with my analysis.
Dr. Sean Cummings, coroner:
These seem like innocuous devices but can be as dangerous as a hairdryer in a bathroom. They should attach warnings. I intend to write a report later to the makers of the phone.
The coroner ruled it an accidental death because authorities figured out the problem. PC Craig Pattison:
We found an iPhone plugged into the extension cable and then the charger element in the bath
Wait. Accidental death? Or, suicide? Or, death by stupidity? I’m sticking with door #3, Monte.
The extension cable was on the floor and it appeared as though he had his phone charger on his chest and the part between the phone charger and the cable had made contact with the water.
The opinion of the pathologist was that this seems to be an accident.
Fair enough, but what kind of accident? Accidental stupidity caused by the victim? Or, by Apple? Or, is the electric company to blame? Where were the safety circuit breakers? Why doesn’t Apple build in a stupidity tracker to the iSight camera that can issue a warning when it sees water, an extension cord, a power cable, and the user bathing in the aforementioned bath?
You see? It’s all Apple’s fault.
They should attach warnings. I intend to write a report later to the makers of the phone.
Good grief, people. Is it any wonder elections often turn out poorly? Electrocution isn’t a problem with electricity. Does anyone blame the electric company? So, why blame Apple? Such problems originate with those who use electricity and probably shouldn’t unless they’re supervised.
Hey. Wait. What a great idea for Big Brother from ‘1984.’ Step into a bath with your iPhone attached to an extension cord, and a voice from a nearby speaker says, “Mr. Bull. Please leave the bath. You’re in danger. Nice abs, by the way. Do you exercise? Wait. I know that already.”