Sometimes an articles title is just a title. Sometimes it ends in a question mark (in which case, most of the time the answer is ‘No’). Sometimes a little link bait is involved (which is the premise behind a headline anyway, right?).
In this case the title is a request. Smooze is a real thing. An app. An app that works with your Mac’s mouse. The literal mouse, not the trackpad kind, and not even the mouse that comes with your iMac. Smooze is for the minority of Mac users. The creative geek Mac user.
More than 80-percent of all Macs sold these days are Mac notebooks. The rest are divided up between the lackluster Mac Pro, the diminutive Mac mini, and the entire iMac line, but only the latter comes with a mouse; a Magic Mouse, to be specific.
Oh, and speaking of Magic Mouse it would have more magic if you could use the thing while charging it, amirite?
Back to the past. Apple wanted us to Think Different back at the turn of the century, and these days the future is here. Except for the mouse. If you hate Apple’s Magic Mouse and prefer to roll your own– literally or figuratively– then Smooze is the utility that helps you improve the non-Apple mouse that graces your desk. You know– scroll wheel mouse. Smooze makes scrolling easier, faster, better, and does it all in a time travel sort of way which takes you back to yesteryear.
Since most Mac users are Mac notebook users and notebooks come with trackpads instead of a mouse, then Smooze is a decidedly minority application. What it does is what Magic Mouse and trackpad cannot.
- Disable scroll acceleration in macOS 10.12 Sierra and select the number of lines you want to scroll on each tick (These features are free and will always be free)
- Assign gestures to any button / shortcut / app
- Every app you own will have buttery smooth scrolling
- Save time by attaching mouse buttons to actions
- Highly optimized & Uses a very small percentage of your CPU, even on excessive use.
- Auto Scroll – You can now click a selected mouse button once to auto scroll anywhere on the screen, hands free, with buttery smooth animations!
- Grab & Drag & Throw – You can now use a mouse button to grab and scroll anywhere on the screen. Throwing will animate the scrolling just like it would on a trackpad
- Cursor acceleration can be changed or disabled from the settings
- Smooze synchronizes its drawings to the refresh rate of your display which ensures the best scrolling experience.
There’s much to like with Smooze. Animate the scroll to smoother than butter. Assign gestures as you require. Adjust acceleration. And just plain get all geeky on your bad self with some charcoal controls.
We all know that charcoal controls mean professional at 110-percent.
Options come aplenty, many of which can be assigned on a per application basis which is fun and can be useful but in a very geeky sort of what.
Smooze assumes the obvious. You need a scroll wheel mouse from the past that works in the present, but plenty are available these days, USB or Bluetooth (and some with that crazy Wi-Fi connector). Whether Smooze is for you also is left up to you because there’s a try-before-you-buy option, but the price is about right for the scroll-wheel designer or control geek.