Color this a simple way to check your Mac’s notebook battery to see if it is working OK. For whatever reason, Apple took some of the battery indicator smarts out of macOS a year or so ago, but that shouldn’t stop us from getting accurate information.
Enter coconut Battery, a free Mac utility that gives you all the detail you really want and need about your Mac’s battery. What you get for free is better than what Apple gives you for free.
Charge. Capacity. Cycles.
Do you know how old your Mac is? How often has the battery been charged? Is the battery healthy (and what does that mean)? Coconut Battery knows. And tells.
Not bad for free, right? Wait! There’s more!
- Current charge
The current battery charge (in mAh – miliampere-hour)
- Full Charge Capacity – The maximum capacity your battery can be charged with (in mAh – miliampere-hour)
- Design capacity – The capacity your battery could be charged with when it left the factory (in mAh – miliampere-hour)
- Model – The Apple model identification string for your Mac or battery
- Manufacture date – Calculates the age of your Mac or Battery using the coded production date in the serial number of your Mac or Battery (Note: for Macs only the manufacture week can be calculated, in this case the date represents the first day of the production week)
- Cycle Count – How often was your battery loaded from 0% to 100%? Keep it low to increase your battery life. (Apple battery information page)
- Battery temperature – This is the current temperature inside your battery. Keep it low to increase battery life. You can toggle between Celsius and Fahrenheit by clicking on the temperature
All of this helps Mac notebook users to get a bit more information from their Mac batteries, and that knowledge should bring about a longer battery life cycle.
What I like about coconut Battery is the Plus option. For a few dollars beyond free, Plus brings in Wi-Fi support for iPad and iPhone. Yes, the app will display battery charge details for each. Over Wi-Fi. It also has an advanced viewer for iOS device details, including battery lifetime analyzer and notifications.
The coconut Battery Plus website also features the best list of tips I’ve seen to date on how to manage battery life for Apple products, and you can try it out before you buy.
Apple is taking plenty of heat for battery life these days because Batterygate. And, many Windows 10 notebooks hybrid devices have much longer battery life. coconut Battery helps your Mac’s battery last a little longer.