Think Vimeo support, YouTube built-in, and even a bunch of 4K video presets. That’s it. We’re done here, right? Not so fast. For media folks– those who delve into the deeper innards of video codecs and audio codecs, nothing is so revered by the geekier than HandBrake.
HandBrake is much like what a Swiss Army Knife would be if it transmorphed, Transformer style, into a digital media app that does everything except shoot and edit the video for you.
Yes, if you’re looking for features and buttons and settings, oh my! then look closely at everything HandBrake does. My favorite set of features are the presets but only because getting my geek on with manual settings takes so long I need to shave again.
HandBrake imports and outputs about every kind of media you can think of and probably six more.
- File Containers: .MP4(.M4V) and .MKV
- Video Encoders: H.265 (x265 and QuickSync), H.264(x264 and QuickSync), H.265 MPEG-4 and MPEG-2, VP8, VP9 and Theora
- Audio Encoders: AAC / HE-AAC, MP3, Flac, AC3, or Vorbis
- Audio Pass-thru: AC-3, E-AC3, DTS, DTS-HD, TrueHD, AAC and MP3 tracks
The presets simply make it easy to choose a pre-determined profile for the device where you want the video or audio to go, so those settings and options are no-brainers.
Some of the new presets include Vimeo and YouTube, but you’ll find Fire TV, Chromecast, Roku, Apple TV and many more to speed up the output without getting lost in the settings and configurations.
HandBrake’s manual settings are not for the faint of heart. Trial and error is your friend.
- Title / chapter and range selection
- Batch Scan and Queueing of encodes
- Chapter Markers
- Subtitles (VobSub, Closed Captions CEA-608, SSA, SRT)
- Constant Quality or Average Bitrate Video Encoding
- Support for VFR and CFR
- Video Filters: Deinterlacing, Decomb, Denoise, Detelecine, Deblock, Grayscale, Cropping and scaling
- Live Static and Video Preview
HandBrake isn’t just Mac, though. It also runs on Windows PCs and Linux PCs. This is a media utility which has been around a long, long time, continues to add useful features, and last year bounced out of the .9.x mode to become a full-fledged member of the version 1.0.0 club. The latest is up to 1.1.0 so HandBrake is moving quickly into the 21st century.