The private school where my husband and I work as system administrators is packed with many hundreds of Macs, PCs, Chromebooks, and iPads, each of which has dozens of applications we manage for students, faculty, and staff.
For those who need to capture and store notes, snippets, PDFs, photos, files, website URLs, and keep them synchronized between devices, the choices for a solution drop quickly. One of our favorites– more for staff and teachers than students– is called Keep It. It keeps things.
One of our favorite information management utilities at Mac360 was the venerable Together; a collection and management app that ran on Mac, iPhone, and iPad, and kept files synced up between devices. Keep It is the new generation of Together. Out with the old, in with the new, but the idea is still the same. Keep your files, snippets, URLs, PDFs, photos, and everything else easily managed within a single app.
Think of Keep It as iTunes or Photos but for everything else.
The interface is crystal clearly understood. Set up categories as folders in the left sidebar column. Click on a folder to view the contents in the middle column. Click on each item to view details in the right sidebar.
What kinds of items?
Notes, website URLs, rich or plain text files, PDFs, images, photos– almost anything that can be stored as a file on the Mac. Each item can be dragged and dropped into an organizing folder easier and faster than the Mac’s Finder. Each items can be tagged and labeled for easy searching. Look at the View and Edit list of functions.
- Summaries in the list and enhanced thumbnails, on both Mac and iOS
- Predefined styles for notes and improved file attachments
- Edit notes in tabs or their own windows
- See and search a list of tags in the Info view, and when tagging items in the list
- Automatically rename items created from stationery
- Compact Mode for working alongside other apps as a window or in split view
- iCloud sharing for individual items
Search for items from the search bar. Control tabs and groups with ease. Easier and faster than Spotlight because it searches only those items you’ve saved in Keep It.
A growing number of our staff and faculty members have used Together, and Keep It imports Together files with a few clicks. The most useful function beyond collecting items is how they can be organized and managed.
- Favorites Bar for quick access to lists
- Folders can show all items in nested folders and bundles
- Recents list shows added and edited items across all your Macs and iOS devices
- Selecting multiple items shows options to add them to a bundle, move to a folder, change the label or add tags
- Each list can have its own sort settings
- The sidebar can be hidden and will reappear when you drag to the side of the window
- Deleted items automatically removed after 30 days
This may be the single best Mac, iPhone, and iPad app for information hoarders and those with info OCD. It’s simple to set up categories, simple to organize, and simple to retrieve. Files are files so there’s no proprietary format to worry about. Together customers get a discount on Keep It. While it’s straightforward to use, it’s deceptively powerful.
Caveats? The only one that bothers me is the ongoing subscription price tag; by the month or by the year.