PhotoScape X is the same price as Photos and comes with more features and options. What you get for free is a photo viewer with the ability to handle RAW photos, but also batch edit, make a collage, and much more. Did I mention that it’s free?
Free, Meet Price
PhotoScape X is one of a growing trend of applications that come free with plenty of features, but if you want professional level features, well, then there’s a price tag. PhotoScape X happens to have most of the features most Mac toting photographers will need, certainly far more than Photos.
The walkthrough above gives you detail and hands-on with the basic features and functions so you’ll know how to use well over three dozen different effects that can be applied to images and photos.
Look at all the goodies you get in PhotoScape X.
The editor alone is packed with features including the basics and then some– Rotate, Straighten, Resize, Crop, Border, Color Adjustment, Color Temperature, Tint, Film Effect, Light Leaks, Lens Flares, Old Photos, Overlays, Textures, Dirt & Scratches, Auto Level, Auto Contrast, Backlight Correction, Bloom, HDR, Dehaze, Vignetting, Sharpen, Blur, White Balance, Curves, Levels, Color Balance, Hue/Saturation, Sepia, Grayscale, Black & White, Negative, 3D Effect, Text Object, Text Warp, Image Object, Magnifier Object, Paint Brush, Paint Bucket, Effect Brushes, Mosaic Brush, Spot Healing Brush, Mixer Brush, Red Eye Correction, Liquify, Clone Stamp.
What’s not to like? Wait. There’s more.
Yes, a number of other Mac photo and image editor apps come with similar features; most of them also come with a price tag. PhotoScape X is free and runs on recent versions of macOS and Windows 10.
The Pro version has a hefty price tag, but far less than Photoshop and its inherent learning curve, and yet it competes with Skylum’s highly touted and much beloved Luminar for less money.
- Cut Out: Remove the background from an image. (Magic Eraser, Lasso tool, Brush tool)
- Batch: Batch edit multiple photos.
- Viewer: Photo Browser, Loupe View, Full Screen, Flag, Star Rating, Batch Rename, Batch Resize, Batch Format Change, Lossless Rotate, Share, Exif Viewer.
- Collage: Merge multiple photos on the collage frame to create one final photo.
- Combine: Attach multiple photos vertically or horizontally to create one final photo.
- GIF Creator: Create Animated GIF.
- Print: Print photos.
- Screen Capture: Capture your screenshot and save it.
- Color Picker: Zoom in on images, search and pick a color.
- Rename: Change photo file names in batch mode.
- Split: Slice a photo into several pieces.
None of the photo editors in the class are as simple as Photos but PhotoScape X has plenty of detail on how to use the effects, filters, and other goodies– and has free online videos to walk you through most of the important ones.
Did I mention PhotoScape X is free? If you’re on a budget you can Put Photoshop Lite On A Mac For Free but I have yet to find a similarly priced replacement for PhotoScape X.