My Mac, iPhone, and iPad are home to a number of browsers. Yes, Safari is there. What I use more these days is Mozilla’s Firefox. Google’s Chrome is dead to me. I keep a few other browsers on hand so I can see the future.
The Brave browser— on Mac, iPhone, and iPad– has roots; started by former Mozilla CEO Brendan Eich and isn’t just another browser. This one comes with privacy at the heart, and an option that could reshape how browsers and advertisers work.
Brave New World
Brave has built-in advertiser and tracker blockers. If you don’t want to be followed online, use Brave. How does this browser stack up against the major browsers?
Chrome, Firefox, DuckDuckGo, and Opera’s “private” browsing mode is not truly private. Brave was created with a built-in ad-blocker to give you the fastest internet browsing experience, while providing the deepest level of privacy and security protection.
Brave is fast because it does not allow the advertising and trackers that slow down each page you view. For the most part, ads you see in your browser these days are little more than spyware or malware. You are being tracked.*
Alright. I get it. Brave respects privacy. But the interwebs runs on advertising. It’s the grease for the wheels. Without ads the whole shebang will come to a screeching halt.
How does Brave handle the relationship between advertising, advertisers, and users?
Brave has a system which allows revenue sharing. User, website, and Brave get a share of the advertising revenue.
With this first phase of Brave ads, you’ll keep 70% of the revenue. A second phase, involving cooperation with website publishers, will give you 15 percent of each ad’s revenue.
The system is already available on Windows and Mac, with plans to show up on iOS and Android later this year.
Think about that. You would get paid to view websites.
Online advertising lives on targeted ads. Advertisers collect information about you, then use that information to push ads to you through your browser that are more influential.
Brave Software wants to show targeted ads, too, but it lets the browser decide on the targeting without spilling your data over the network to publishers, advertisers or Brave itself.
That sounds promising but Brave is used by less than 10-million web users a month and falls far short of the 260-million that use Firefox or the billion plus that use Google’s Chrome.
Advertisers love personal data and spend their money where they can get more for their buck. How will Brave buck that methodology?
Advertisers know only that their ads were seen, not who saw them.
Mac360 is a publisher and has been since 2004, so we have a long heritage with advertising. We dumped Google’s AdSense a few years ago in favor of ads that do not track.
How will other publishers make a buck?
Publisher ads, set to arrive later this year, will place Brave ads directly onto publishers’ websites. There, publishers will keep 70%, while you and Brave will evenly split the remaining 30%.
On the surface, that plan sounds like a mixture of pie in the sky, hopeful wishing, and an opportunity that will be crushed by Google. Yet, if enough users switch from Google, Firefox, and Safari, it is an idea that might have legs.
*Note: Mac360 and other websites in the Villagers family have advertising that does not track. No ad trackers, no analytics trackers. Yet, even with a few ads on each page, these websites load faster than nearly any website you visit.